An Horse Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Tweet
Follow Anhorseforum on Twitter
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of An Horse- The Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of An Horse Fan Forum on your social bookmarking website

Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine

2 posters

Go down

Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine Empty Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine

Post by hermitstyle Sat 04 Apr 2009, 5:32 pm

not the best interview that i have read, but it's still decent:
A one trick pony is great if you only see the trick once. If you watch it over and over again, well, boredom ensues. An Horse knows one trick; a good trick to be sure, but only one. The trick goes like this: Kate Cooper — one-half An Horse — in staccato delivery, sings simple melodies slightly off-key mostly over distorted, driving guitars. If the song starts without distortion the instrumentation builds (like on “Little Lungs”).

After ten tracks of repetition, it’s hard to appreciate that one trick. This is not to say An Horse isn’t worth listening to. Specifically, “Little Lungs” and “Scared as Fuck” are forceful in their conviction. As “Little Lungs” builds and repeats phrases, it’s hard not to bob your head in time. “Scared as Fuck” has a galloping drum line, and lines like “You can take my socks / But you damn well better leave my gloves” are irresistible.

“Postcards” is probably the best track on the album. Intermittent guitar punctuation kicks off the track, Cooper’s vocals in relief. The best I can tell, the song laments not being happy where you are at. I can’t be sure.

There are a lot of relationship songs on the album. Kate Cooper must stay busy in the love department. The lyrics are vague regularly, and that can be a problem. Feelings need development and structure.

If an album is just someone talking about their feelings, it can make the listener feel like an emotional dumping ground (see: emo). Cooper is witty enough to generally manage avoiding such pitfalls, but not completely. Lines like “It’s times like this I think too much,” from the song “Company,” say nothing. The line should have been cut long ago.

In listening to Rearrange Beds, the thought occurs to me that the album lacks development. If An Horse would learn a trick or two more, I’d be talking about a completely different album; I’d be talking about an album I absolutely loved. As it stands currently, I can’t muster more than a lukewarm thumbs up.

If you are like me and are conserving change for only the best of the best on the shelves these days, Rearrange Beds isn’t going to be the one you are reaching for. When An Horse goes back into the studio, I’m hoping there’s more diversity and a stringent policy on cutting inane lyrics. There’s talent here, it’s undeniable; not everything really comes together, though.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2009/03/17/083347.php

one thing i have always wondered though, why does 'warm hands' come up as 'scared as fuck' when it's imported into itunes? i think i might twitter them that thought....
hermitstyle
hermitstyle

http://www.myspace.com/totalhate95

Back to top Go down

Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine Empty Re: Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine

Post by Anna&lt3Kate Sat 04 Apr 2009, 8:22 pm

i wondered that too about Warm Hands.... i've seen it called Scared As Fuck in other places as well.
Anna&lt3Kate
Anna&lt3Kate
Newcomer
Newcomer

https://www.facebook.com/people/Anna-Miliauskas/555364138

Back to top Go down

Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine Empty Re: Album Review by BlogCritics Magazine

Post by hermitstyle Sat 04 Apr 2009, 8:49 pm

Anna&lt3Kate wrote:i wondered that too about Warm Hands.... i've seen it called Scared As Fuck in other places as well.
i'm assuming the glass master for the ep was labeled 'scared as fuck' but apparently the song was changed to 'warm hands' later. i've messaged about it, so hopefully i'll get a response, if not, i'll ask them at the show next week. either way, i'll try to report back with info on it.
hermitstyle
hermitstyle

http://www.myspace.com/totalhate95

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down